Madison, AL 35758
Gem Care seeks a Senior Physical Engineer to be responsible for the design and/or checking of deliverables associated with a high voltage substation. This typically includes, but is not limited to: general arrangements, equipment plans, elevations, sections, control house layouts, grounding design, conduit and cable design, creation of bills of materials, and cable schedules for substations. Engineer must have 8 or more years of experience in the engineering profession. Candidate shall also be experienced in customer satisfaction and detailed design of complex power systems.
Applicant should be well versed in MicroStation (or AutoCAD) and MS Office products. Detailed design experience of electric utility power substations and a PE is a requirement.
Candidate must have excellent verbal and written communications skills and the ability to convey technical knowledge in simple and practical language. Candidate shall prepare and/or check substation physical design drawings, participation in occasional site visits or client meetings at client location may be required. Preferred experience in physical substation design including grounding designs, CDEGs, plot plans, plan & sections, conduit layouts, lightning protection, experience in voltages from 15kV to 500kV is desired.
As a fully competent engineer, the candidate shall independently evaluate, select and apply engineering principles and practices relevant to the project requirements. Candidate will work with the engineering manager and project manager to define project objectives, prepare design estimates, and define project requirements and design approaches for large or complex projects, as well as being responsible for determining design approach and working with design team to prepare required design documents (e.g., drawings, specifications, calculations, etc.
Most importantly the candidate will perform technical and coordination checking of deliverables and other project documents to ensures deliverables comply with IEEE and/or client standards and meet applicable design requirements.
• BS in Electrical Engineering or higher from an ABET accredited college/university
• 8+ years of progressively responsible experience is required
• Professional Engineer (P.E.) required
- Candidate must have the ability to check the work of other team members and produce error free work.
- Candidate must the ability to check/produce plan views, section views, elevations, conduit & cable schedules, and bill of materials.
- Candidate should have experience in grounding of an electrical substation using CDEGs software and analysis.
- Candidate shall be expected to stamp drawings prepared under their supervision if they have a PE, if not they should plan on obtaining a PE within one year of hire.
- Candidate will be required to do overnight site visits. Estimated travel would be less than 10%
- Candidate should be expected to navigate in MicroStation (or AutoCAD) to view, plot, and edit drawings on a minimal basis.